Friday 21 March 2008

Orbis Terrarum Challenge


*sigh* thanks to http://raidergirl3-anadventureinreading.blogspot.com/
raidergirl3, I found this challenge on http://exlibrisbb.blogspot.com/2008/03/orbis-terrarum-challenge.html

exlibrisbb site. It is really interesting, and so, I joined. I commented to raidergirl3 that I must be really competitive! My automatic reaction is "hey, I can do this!". Since I've read 12 books so far this year (compared to many book bloggers reading 30+ already......more on this in a moment) I have to be careful. But, this is a really good challenge to expand where I read from. I was surprised that I had difficulty pulling 9 different country writers from my shelves. So, I am aware I do have a lack of wider reading, which is one of my goals - to read literature from other countries. So this ended up being an easy challenge to join. Here are the rules, as posted on exlibris' site:
- The Orbis Terrarum Challenge begins April 1 2008( you are welcome to join later) Through December 20th 2008.
- For the challenge each reader is to choose 9 books (for the 9 months).
-Each book must be by an author from a different nation in our world.
The bottom line: choose 9 different books, written by 9 different authors, from 9 different countries.
This is my list, subject to change, as if I can get a few more to fill some of my other challenges, I will add them to this one.
1. The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin (Russia, mystery)
2. The Iliad - Homer (Greece, classical literature)
3. Firewall - Henning Mankell (Sweden, mystery)
4. In the Time of the Butterflies - Julia Alvarez (Dominican Republic, fiction)
5. Dubliners - James Joyce - (Ireland, short stories)
6. The Shape of Water - Andrea Camilleri (Italy, mystery)
7. Morality for Beautiful Girls - Alexancer McCall Smith (Botswana, mystery)**** This should have been Tears of the Giraffe,which is Book 2 in the series and I want to read them in order. So Tears of the Giraffe is what I'm reading for the challenge. Added Aug 25, 2008*** Tears of the Giraffe read Aug 26 2008 - DONE
8. Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky (France, fiction) - DONE
9. Exit Music - Ian Rankin (Scotland, mystery) - DONE

Alternates:
The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende (Chile, fiction) - DONE
The Famished Road - Ben Okri (Nigeria, fiction)
Don't Look Back - Karin Fossum (Norway, mystery)
The Broken Shore - Peter Temple (Australia, mystery)
Tainted Blood - Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland, mystery) - DONE
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie (India, fiction)
The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver - USA

So, you can see I love mysteries from other countries, which I've blogged about in a previous post. 5 are translated, 4 written originally in English. As there are other books I hope to pick up through the year, this might change slightly. Many of these are on my current reading challenges, so I'm not really adding too many more books to read!! Anyway, I love the idea of this challenge. I plan on joining next year's, and the year after's......I notice a distinct lack of Chinese, Japanese and Central and South American literature, and where is Australia? New Zealand? India? South Africa and the rest of the continent? More Europe? hmmmm, definitely I need to expand where I read from.

Thanks, exlibris, for holding this challenge! and raidergirl3 for picking it up. Both are really good book sites, by the way, that I read regularly (among about 20 that you can find at the bottom of my blog).

5 comments:

Patricia said...

As if you didn't have enough book challenges on the go as it is? Did you get much snow with the last system that passed through?

I am currently reading as many Jane Austen books as I can; it is slow going what with all that formal old English. Once I am done I will post about her books and which ones I liked most and why. It won't be nearly as good as your reviews....cripes, you sound professional! It seems that University degree did you some good after all, teehee.

Take pictures of the little ones enjoying Easter. Mine want music in lieu of chocolate so I'm all for a small gift each...perhaps. In this province every.thing.closes.every.holiday. Not like Alberta where NOTHING closes EVER. What an adjustment!

Happy Easter!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

WELCOME!!! I love your post, and I am very glad you joined. I have read In the Time of Butterflies, and watched the movie...it is a great one. And I have read a different one by Andrea Camilleri too. You have a great list there!!!

Check back over to post links to your reviews!! (starting in April I will post one each month)

Iliana said...

I'm still thinking of my books for this challenge! I just finished reading The Shape of Water (I still need to post about it) but I loved it. Great little mystery.

Susan said...

lady p - see my comments on the Non-fiction 5 challenge for joining so many challenges. you know me! I've always been competitive (healthily though, I think!)
I like you reading all the Jane Austen - you do know that having read two of the books qualifies you for having completed the Jane austen challenge? plus - you will have read one of my all-time favourite authors! I love that you are making the attempt - that's what counts! that and increasing your reading for fun!! lol
As for Easter pics, will try - at least should get some with chocolate on their faces!!! :-)

Bethany - thanks! I knew In the time of the Butterflies was a movie, but haven't seen it yet. I'm really curious about this book, especially as all the news is about Haiti and Cuba, but not so much the Dominican Republic. and the Andrea Camilleri have now have 3 books by, so I figured I should read one now!
I'll try to link posts - I'm still figuring how the links work. the fact I got it to work first time on your site is pretty good for me!

Iliana - thanks for letting me know you liked the Shape of Water. I've heard good things about it, and as I said to Bethany, I have 3 of his books now, better read one! I'll post a review when I read it. Can you let me know when you have your choices for this challenge? I am really curious as to what people's choices are, it's such an interesting challenge.

raidergirl3 said...

Since I like mysteries but am having difficulty making time for them, I've decided to try and read mysteries from around the world, killing two birds with one stone.

I like the Camilleri series, I've read three so far, and quite like them. It's a big series, maybe 8 or 9 books, not all translated yet.

Have fun!!