Monday 25 August 2008

It's finally here!!! RIP3!!



It's finally here. Carl's RIP 3. I'll let him describe the challenge:
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

There is just something about this time of year, when the ghosts of past Autumns and the Autumn to come chase away the dog days of summer, that entices one to read books that fit into the above categories.

It was a desire share the love of eerie, creepy, things-that-go-bump-in-the-night literature that brought me into the online reading challenge game for the first time back in September of 2006. My goals today, in this its third iteration, are no different than the inaugural R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

It is that simple. Read on.


Isn't that lovely? I have been waiting all year for this challenge. I have been gathering books, finding little treasures here and there and saving them up for this, the best challenge of the year: ghost stories for the autumn, horror stories for Hallowe'en, gothic stories for the end of the year, supernatural stories as the end of the year approaches. I adore this time of year, the pumpkins (ok,they're not out yet, but they are coming!), the leaves (and they are changing colours already!) spectacular colours, the smell of smoke, wearing sweaters and drinking hot chocolate and best of all, more time to read, because the garden is put to bed and the nights are closing in......

As most of you who read my blog know, I love horror and the supernatural, so this challenge is perfect for me. I am so happy Carl is hosting it again, and the poster is adorable and spooky and a bit creepy and I want to frame it! I want the doll, I really do. He would sit beside me while I read, and share some of that lovely hot chocolate......even if you don't like horror, there might be a thriller or gothic romance that fits, or a suspense novel. Jane Eyre or Northanger Abbey, for example, fit, for you doing the Classics challenges....

This is my list. I am doing Peril the First, which is to read four books of any length, from an subgenre of scary stories I choose.

The Night Country - Stewart O'Nan (ghost story)
lonely Werewolf Girl - Martin Millar (dark fantasy)
The Harrowing - Alexandra Sokoloff (horror story)
The Terror - Dan Simmons (horror story)
The House of Dr Dee - Peter Ackroyd (horror, gothic?)
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill (ghost story) - DONE
Everything's Eventual - Stephen King (ghost stories)
Tamsin - Peter S Beagle (ghost story)
Northern Frights 2 - ed Don Hutchison (collection of Canadian scary stories)
Wolf Moon - Charles de Lint (dark fantasy)
Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz (horror)
Fool Moon - Jim Butcher (horror)
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen (gothic)
On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers (dark fantasy with zombies! a reread)
Hallowe'en - Ravenwolf (about Hallowe'en, lore, recipes etc, a book I got for Christmas last year and have been waiting all year to read!)
Ghosts, Spirits and Hauntings - Patricia Telesco (a witch explores the supernatural)

I am so excited about this challenge! I know I only have to read 4, but I will want to read so many more on my list, so it will be interesting to see how many I do get read. I'm actually aiming for 8. So many of these books I have wanted to read for a long time. I plan on reading only for this challenge over the next two months, so I can immerse myself in ghost stories and dark fantasy to my heart's content. *sigh* I love this challenge. I love autumn!

14 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I'm psyched about this one too! Like you I fall absolutely in love with this time of the year. It's just perfect. If you want another really great Halloween book, I'll recommend Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. It's sort of a kids/young adult book but I fell in love with it last year and the cover is amazing. It basically tells the story of halloween in different cultures through a spooky little story. I read it for my final read last year for RIP on Halloween Night.

I love your list by the way. So many great books there. The Ravenwolf book sounds really cool! I'm going to go check that out right now...hope you enjoy Tamsin too. One of my favs of the year.

DesLily said...

I'll be watching for your review on Odd Thomas.. those books look good but really haven't read any reviews on them.

Anonymous said...

Yes this is going to be a great challenge. Some very cool books on your list. I hope to get lots of books read but am trying to pace myself.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Holy crap, you should be the PR person for my R.I.P. challenges, I got excited about participating just reading about your feelings about this time of year. You are definitely a kindred spirit. I couldn't have described the wonder of this time of year better myself.

I'm so touched that you've been looking forward to this, thank you so much for joining in.

Daphne said...

I'm completely excited, too! I plan to do a full October extravaganza this year! Including, of course, this challenge.

Chrisbookarama said...

I love how excited everyone is about this!

Susan said...

chris: I know, I read your post too. I've been looking for the Hallowe'en Tree - I remember you talking about it on my post about horror books - but I haven't found it yet. Looks like I might have to order it! I'll let you know about Tamsin, since you and Nymeth are the ones who brought it to my attention (that he had written a ghost story! with cats!) Isn't it nice to have cool nights again?

deslily: I have to add you to my book blogs! I still haven't finished that....I'm so hoping I'll like Odd Thomas, I like the sound of it!

rhinoa: I really hope work challenges don't stop you from being able to read some very fun books! like I said on your post, you have some great titles too.

carl: thank you! Like anything could stop me from joining in the challenge! I think part of my brain (the part that thinks I CAN read every book ever written)thinks I can also read all 16 books on my list, and gee, but didn't I go find ANOTHER book to add to the pile tonight! and yes, I think you and I are kindred spirits! I've met so many wonderful book people this year on this blog, and it has done my soul some good to find people who read - and read the same books too! and some not! - and live for reading. I had no idea this kind of world existed online! It is such a joy. and I am very happy to spread the word around about your challenges! Imagine the world over, people sharing reading and books :-) and on spooky stories...you deserve the credit, Carl, for putting together such a fun challenge with that amazing banner.

daphne: hi! I'll come check your blog in a moment. what do you mean by a 'full October extravaganza'? decorating theme, something like that?

Susan said...

chris: me, too! I wish we could all get together in some big hall somewhere and have a big sleepover and read all night and eat our favourite foods - say, mid-October, wouldn't that be fun? This challenge feels like a big party!

Stefanie said...

Nice list! I didn't know Peter Ackroyd had a gothic/horror book. I'll have to add that to my list for next year as well as the Tim Powers book.

Jodie Robson said...

I like autumn too - such a relief not to have to worry about not having had a summer any more. I haven't finished my list for the challenge yet, but Tamsin was the first book I thought of.

Ana S. said...

What a great list! I love that we have several authors/books in common. I can't wait to see your reviews.

tanabata said...

This is always such a fun challenge! I'm not really into pure horror but do like a bit of gothic or spooky.
Someday I'm going to have to reread Northanger Abbey. I read it so long ago I've forgotten most of it.
BTW, glad you stopped by. :)

Quixotical said...

This is my absolute favourite time of year. I love the period from September right through to December.

Brilliant list of books! Great to see de Lint on there, and actually I should probably add Wolf Moon to my pool, as I have it sitting here unread.

Everything's Eventual is a great collection, possibly my favourite Stephen King story collection.

Look forward to your reviews!

http://blog.quixoticmiss.com (the blog linked to my blogger profile is a backup).

Susan said...

stefanie: thanks! i'll let everyone know how it is when I've read it. It looks interesting!

geraniumcat: we had heat all last week, it was hot! and finally it got cool again on Saturday (yesterday) and I am so happy! I'll have to come see your list now.

nymeth: me too - for your book reviews! lol I'm sure my list will increase again! I love that we have some of the same books too :-)

tanabata: thanks for coming by! gothic is good, too. I read alot in university. And a long time ago there was a gothic romance line in paperback, that I used to very quickly sprint through when I worked at a used bookstore. I liked the atmosphere the best, the spooky not knowing, the bad family, etc.

quixotical: I went to you site too, and bookmarked you! I left a comment....love that poppet, please say he's available somewhere to buy! I'm partway into Everything's Eventual, and I am enjoying it. thanks so much for coming by!