Wednesday 14 January 2009

So there I was......


So there I was. Deslily had introduced me to Cath at Read-Warbler (and there are some great photos of an old house in Cornwall with a courtyard that she's just posted) and then looking at her blogroll, which I often do to see if there is someone new to meet, found myself at A Devoted Reader - who could resist a blog title like that??! - and there it was: a whole series of books currently being read by A Devoted reader, that I have been meaning to read like forever: Anthony Trollope's 6 books of The Barsetshire series. I had successfully gone to Cath's blog and not come away with anything to add to my TBR pile because I already have The Book Thief waiting patiently on the top of it. The fact that I had instant book lust for her other book, the Atlas of North American Exploration , is beside the point......maybe it is the point. I love going to all your blogs, my Gentle Readers, and finding new books I've never heard of, and being reminded of books I still haven't read, and discovering you love the same books I do.

I don't own any of Anthony Trollope's books, so a trip to the library - when we get our buses back!! - will be upcoming.

So, this introduces me to :

BAD BLOGGERS!
Started by Deslily, carried by Chris, I hereby join this blame game. It's easy. Read a book, recommend it, post about it, and ta-dah! my TBR pile is suddenly larger! And so......since I've only been blogging for a year, I can already blame several bloggers for increasing my TBR pile to dangerous proportions over that time. I hereby give 10 points to:
Chris at Stuff As Dreams Are Made of. I once joked that if he gave his list of books he was going to read, I'd go out and buy my own copies. Even if I'm not interested in the book, he makes it sound @#%* interesting! Witty, funny, wise, someone I'm coming to look toward for books to read - you BAD blogger, Chris! - I'm always thrilled when he has new post up even if means another book I need to look for!
- followed very closely by Nymeth at Things Mean Alot. As most of you know, she is a book reviewer without parallel in our universe. Kind, sweet, thoughtful, intelligent, her blog is a delight, and the one book we disagreed on last year - that's one! - was an ancient children's book by E. Nesbit. Ok, not so ancient, but to me it felt like it. And she made me feel I missed something because she loved it! She also made Freakonomics sound interesting. Based on that, she is awarded 10 points also.
There's Eva at A Stuffed Armchair, Deslily at Here, There and Everywhere, Stephanie (several Stephanies in fact)- So Many Books, Stephanie's Confessions of a Book-a-holic, Emily at Telecommuter Talk (when she talks about books!), Bybee at Naked Without Books, Rhinoa at Rhinoa's Ramblings, Geraniumcat at Geraniumcat's Bookshelf, Ann at Table Talk and Bride at Bride of the Book God: you each get 7 points, because you read books I either am going to read (thus moving them up my TBR pile) or read books I want to read, so suddenly my TBR pile grows by 10 books in one night.

I love you all, and in 6 months time, I will get my revenge by letting a randomly chosen winner pick from my 'read' pile a book that you want to read :-) This is open to all bloggers, so many of you will be awarded points as this year goes on, and you post about good books to read, but I wanted to start this little competition with a bang.

Of course, if I don't hurry up and get reading, that book on my 'read' pile will be Middlemarch!

13 comments:

chrisa511 said...

10 Points!! No way! LOL...thanks Susan! I'm sure you'll be getting some points along the way too from me :)

Eva said...

7 points! I feel honoured. :D And I've had Trollope on my radar for awhile-I read The Warden, and it was darling.

Ana S. said...

lol, thanks for my 10 points :P I should award you another 10, you know, for all the stuff you make me want to read. Also, I didn't LOVE The Enchanted Castle...I just liked it :P So we didn't even disagree that much.

I love that so many people are assigning blame now, lol. I kind of want to do it, but I hesitate because it's basically creating an extra reinforcement system for buying books. I know I'd love to distribute those points, but seriously, I don't need any further encouragement to add to the piles :P

Bybee said...

Bad to the bone! Bad to the bone! B-b-b-bad....Bad to the bone!
(Thanks Susan!)

DesLily said...

oh geez Susan! you really come out swinging LOLLOL.. but you have many of the "accused" that I'm sure will appear again and again on many bad blogger lists! LOL.. It's a bit of a relief to know that it's not all your own fault! hahahaha... hey, it works!.. sometimes. lol

Cath said...

Great post! LOL. You qualify as a Bad Blogger too, you know? After reading your run-down of 2008 books I ordered Lonely Werewolf Girl and it got here this morning. YOUR FAULT as Deslily would no doubt say.

And I too am planning to read Trollope's Barsetshire novels this year. The Warden is quite near the top of the tbr pile. I read one of his travel books - an anthology - last year and thought it was wonderful. 'Trollope the Traveller' it was called. *Not* that I'm trying to tempt you of course...

brideofthebookgod said...

Oooh 7 points, I feel guilty and special all at the same time!!!

Kailana said...

I am finding bad bloggers highly entertaining! I almost considered it myself, but I will just sit back and watch the 'punishment' instead. lol

Susan said...

chris: Yes, way!! You have no idea how many books I'm looking to read because of you! lol

eva: please do feel honoured. you deserve it!

nymeth: I actually think of it as more, go see this person's site, 'cause they'll make you want to read everything! there are amazing book reviewers out there, and I want to draw people who haven't found you, to you and Chris and Eva and everyone on my blogroll!

bybee: yes, you are!!! lol and you make me want to read the Robertson book which under normal circumstances I'd never even look at! so yes, bad to the bone, book-twin!

deslily: I wouldn't laugh so hard. You're pretty high up there.....it's possible you might be getting some free books later this year yourself!! lol

cath: Oh good! another person to read it! I have actually seen one blogger who didn't think the world of it, but so far it's the only one. I hope you enjoy it! let me know, I'll add a link to your post :-) to mine. Hmm, and I do believe you now have a point. Trollope the Traveller sounds great!

bride: you should feel special! It helps that you and I read the same kind of books, too!! I still can't find that Lindquist (vampire) novel you read earlier this year. I'm going to start going to the library once our transit strike is over, and that's the first one I'm going to ask for!

Kailana: you might find yourself winning a book anyway later this year! lol and I'm still grinning over your post yesterday about the week you had. Not because bad things happened, but because we've all had weeks like that. In fact, I had a day like that yesterday....

Ana S. said...

Susan, I really love the fact that you and everyone else are doing it! I just meant that for myself, it would probably make me give in to temptation even more often...I'm very easy to lead astray :P

Emily Barton said...

Maybe I need to blog about books more often...(Just kidding!) I ought to do this myself, but my TBR pile increased exponentially almost every time I log on to read blogs. It'll be fun to watch you play, though, and I hope you win someone else's Bad Blogger Award, because you definitely fit the bill.

Susan said...

nymeth: I like leading you astray! lol and I'm really curious to see who wins my personal bad blogger award, because this last year, you and Chris have been very good for my book reading heart and bad for my pocketbook! lol not too bad, many of the books I already had. Mostly it was my joining challenges and not always having the books yet! This year I'm mostly reading what I own, since I have so many to read. Not that this will stop me buying books! sadly, no..... :-)

emily: I know what you mean, my wishlist grew by 7 books this morning - my wishlist on Amazon is now at 5 pages! gah! I really want our transit strike over so I can get to the library and start reading some books for free! So if I can lead others into temptation too, hehe.....and I love the idea of buying a book for someone else to read, so I think this is a great little way to celebrate our love/passion/addiction for books :-)

Jodie Robson said...

Oh cool, I love being a Bad Blogger! You've just persuaded me that I need to read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and I always look forward to your reviews of fantasy novels, so it works both ways - the only thing that stops me spending way too much money on your recommendations is that they're not always out here in the UK.