Saturday 16 February 2013

home again

                 I am home again.  The surgery went really well on Thursday. I am still very uncomfortable and on medication, but I've been able to finish the mystery I started last week - Blood on the Tongue by Stephen Booth.  It was so lovely to read again!  I am now  deciding betweeen Broken Harbour by Tana French, and Little Girl Lost by Brian McGilloway,  which will be next? Broken Harbour, I think. 

     I am so glad the surgery is done.  I had been sick for a long time with my gallstones without realizing that was what it was.  I'm curious to know what it will be like without my gall bladder, and most of all to not be afraid of another attack. 

          I watched my first on-the-road-to-recovery movie yesterday, IQ with Meg Ryan and Tim Robbins.  I had to hold my stomach because it hurt to laugh, and I forgot how funny this movie is.  Next up: Persuasion.

        A friend of mine dropped by Thursday after the surgery to see how I was doing, and brought me these:   

aren't they lovely?  I love the green growing up the petal, it's such a lovely mix.  This reminds me that spring will be coming, and soon.  It is incredibly healing watching flowers bloom, and these tulips are just opening.  Spring is coming!
 

  Thank you for all of your wishes and support.  It has helped a lot, knowing so many care.  I still can't sit at the computer for long, and I tire easily, so I will be back when I am more recovered.  I wanted to let you all know I was fine and recovering.

12 comments:

Cath said...

I'm so glad your surgery is now behind you. What a relief that must be! Beautiful tulips... hopefully spring is on the way. We have primroses in flower in the garden and daff in bud.

Take care and do nothing!

Anonymous said...

Susan, so glad to hear that things went well. Take care of yourself and enjoy your reading and movie watching. :-)

Kerry said...

So glad it all went well.

I've been managing fine without my gall bladder for the last 9 years, so you should be fine. They say to avoid super fatty foods and you should be fine.

Enjoy your reading.

Kerry said...

P.S. Sorry for the multiple uses of the word "fine" in my previous post. It sounds terrible in my head as I read it over.

Stefanie said...

So glad to hear the surgery went well. And what a lovely bunch of tulips. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Kailana said...

I am glad to hear that things went well! Enjoy your down time!

Molly said...

Oh Susan - I have been out of the loop for so long that I had no idea you were suffering. My apologies...

I had only only one bout with my gall bladder and ended up having emergency last October. While the surgery was not pleasant, I can vouch that my recovery time was rather short and I was back in the saddle rather quickly.

I hope that you have the same post-surgery experience!

Gavin said...

Sorry I missed your lastest posts but am glad things went well. I love tulips, they are such graceful flowers!

Susan said...

Cath: Thank you, my friend! It is such a relief, too. The tulips are all opening now. And now, spring is NOT on the way for us - it's snowing here today! lol

Daffs in bud - I was hoping you had signs of spring there :-)

Kay: Thank you so much. I am enjoying being at home to heal and recover. Watched 2 movies and read 2 books (posts to follow) so far. :-) Today is my first day at home alone, and I'm enjoying the silence!

Kerry: LOL! No worries with the word fine! Thank you so much for writing, and I can add you to my list of growing people who've had this op. I wish we could find out why gall stones are so common now.....

Stefanie: Thank you! I am recovering really well. The flowers help, and being at home especially is good. My husband is helping out a lot so I am getting lots of rest and reading time in :-)

Kailana: Thank you :-) I am enjoying my recovery time at home so much. Reading time is bliss!! and totally guilt-free too. (sadly not pain free, but it's not so bad now, on day 5, hardly there).

Molly: Thank you so much for writing! You have so many things going on, thank you for checking in. I didn't know you had emergency op last fall for this. I was at emerg a year ago, which is why I got on the surgery list. I'm glad you healed so quickly, I hear it is very fast when it's laproscopy. I also know that surgery takes time to recover long-term strength in, so I'm taking my time with healing and not rushing back. I'm so happy you are recovered, too :-)

Gavin: Thank you! Things are going very well now. And the tulips - they are such a lovely white colour, and so beautiful. It's amazing how something like a plant can help us heal, isn't it?

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I had gall bladder surgery about 8 years ago and people told be I'd be back to work in a few days. I felt like a huge baby as I was in pain for over 2 weeks.

It was nice not to have back pain from the gall stones ever again though.

Take care - the tulips are gorgeous.

Susan said...

Diane: One of my co-workers had her surgery a week before mine, and she still has pain. I'll tell her your story, she'll feel better! I don't have any pain now, but I've already had one attack in the past week, which makes me think I either still have a stone somewhere in my system, or as my friend tried to cheer me up with, my system might still be in recovery. I feel better not having my gall bladder there bothering me now, though I really hope I don't have any lingering ones.

Thanks so much for sharing, it is so good to know that most people make a full recovery from it.

Kathleen said...

Glad to hear you are doing well and came through the surgery okay. I had my gall bladder out in 2008 and I haven't missed it at all. Hope your recovery and life without gall bladder will be uneventful.